The Machine Needs Salt?

Leave a comment

August 13, 2014 by Evin

Six years ago, I stood over the dishwasher in our rental apartment wondering why there was a little red light next to the word ‘salt’ on my dishwasher. It seemed hilarious to me when I first encountered it. Of course, I sprinkled a bit of freshly ground sea salt into the dishwasher and started a cycle. That didn’t work. At all. Not one bit. See, the dishwasher takes special salt. It’s called… Dishwasher Salt.

I still find it funny that any #dishwasher here has a light just to remind you to add salt. Well, and the fact that they need #salt.

It turns out the hard/soft water thing seriously effects dishwashers so it is vital to the cleanliness of the dishes that salt is added to a special compartment to soften the water and reduce hard water stains and residue on the glassware and dishes. Wikipedia explains in more detail:

 

Dishwasher salt is a particular grade of granulated, crystalline sodium chloride intended for use in dishwashers. Like water softener salt, dishwasher salt regenerates ion exchange resins, and removes the calcium and magnesium ions that characterize hard water. Dishwater salt granules are larger than those of table salt. The granule size ensures that the salt dissolves slowly, and that fine particles do not block the softener unit. Dishwasher salt is 95% sodium chloride; an anticaking agent (e.g. sodium ferrocyanide or potassium ferrocyanide) constitutes the remaining 5%.

Dishwasher salt goes in a compartment in the bottom of the dishwasher that looks a lot like this.

dishwasher salt container

Though that one day, leaning over the dishwasher completely befuddled by the salt light shining red, I soon learned the importance of dishwasher salt and how regionally it is widely accepted and understood. So much so it was a joke in an episode of Black Books. When I saw that episode, I laughed out loud because I understood and it was clever. So I made a meme.

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 20.00.29

We season cast iron skillets in America, so why not season dishwashers too, right? Do you season your appliances where you live?

Advertisements

Enough about me. What are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

FreckledPast on Twitter 40 Shades of Life on Facebook Freckledpast on Instagram

Topics

Where to Eat Brunch in Cork City, Ireland
Life as an American in Ireland
EvinOK.com

Eight Years of Posts

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 5,975 other followers

BrunchCork on Twitter
Local Yarn Stores in Cork, Ireland
Second-hand Stores in Cork, Ireland
FreckledPast on Ravelry Irish Food Blogger Association blog awards irelandblog awards irelandExpat in Cork Trip Advisor Expat.com
August 2014
S M T W T F S
« Jul   Sep »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
%d bloggers like this: